Wednesday, April 05, 2006

Question :How to allocate retirement money?

Before my company started to offer Roth 401k, it was easy split of money

401k up to match
Roth IRA
Then max 401k

Now Roth 401k in picture there is no concrete plan how to allocate money. There is no crystal ball to find out what will be the tax situation in the future.

So i am thinking of following the patterns below

Pattern I
401k - up to match
Roth IRA - Max
Roth 401K - Max

or

Pattern II
401k - 50% Max
Roth 401K - 50% Max
Roth IRA - Max

Pattern I Reason
Have most money in taxable account
social security ppl will check only 401k
I can move my roth 401k to roth ira if i leave

Pattern II Reason
Just Hedge on all the side.. you will be average at the end

At the end i decided to go with Pattern I until i can read more about the retirment allocation. As i am reading there are so many factors change equations everytime.

Good conversation about this topic - Die Hards

No comments: